This muffin recipe is one of our absolute favourites! It’s one a friend sent me a while back and it’s right from the Ambitious Kitchen ! They’re so moist and delicious and the best part is that they’re HEALTHY (minus a few chocolate chips of course!) Like most toddlers, the twins LOVE to bake with me. They’re always asking me what I’m up to in the kitchen and whether they can help or not so I try to intentionally plan a few meals through the week that they can help with. We had a play date yesterday afternoon so we made a batch of these muffins together in the morn!
- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 2 small to medium ripe bananas, mashed
- 1 teaspoon melted coconut oil
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 egg whites
- 1 cup shredded zucchini (about 1 medium zucchini)
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened applesauce
- 1/3 cup nonfat plain greek yogurt (I used Fage)
- 1/2 cup mini or regular chocolate chips (I like mini)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Line 12-cup muffin tin with cupcake liners and generously spray inside of liners with nonstick cooking spray.
- Squeeze shredded zucchini of excess water with a paper towel! This is an important step.
- In medium bowl combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, and cinnamon; set aside.
- In bowl of an electric mixer, add mashed banana, oil, honey, vanilla and eggs; mix until smooth. Add in zucchini, applesauce, and yogurt and beat again until well combined. Slowly mix in dry ingredients until just combined. Remember not to over mix the batter — we want moist muffins! Gently fold in 1/2 cup of chocolate chips.
- Evenly divide batter into muffin cups. The batter will probably reach the top of each muffin liner, but that’s okay — we’re making big muffins! Alternatively you can reduce the size and bake 15 muffins. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean.
Enjoy!! And thanks so much for reading! xo